7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
1.75 sticks unsalted butter, in half inch cubes
1 cup + 2T sugar
some salt (hearty pinch)
1T g-free flour
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Butter the bottom of an 8"-9" cake pan. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom. Butter that too, and the sides of the pan.
- Using a microwave (30 second bursts, stirring in between) or a double boiler, melt chocolate and butter together until smooth and all melty.
- Stir in sugar and salt.
- Add eggs. I use a whisk and mix them directly into the batter.
- Sprinkle flour across top and stir to incorporate. You don't want to over-stir, but you don't want flour lumps either.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes. (Technique that's worked the best): bake for ten minutes, rotate, bake for another ten minutes, then start checking every 2 minutes. The sides will puff up and it will be jiggly in the middle. The trick is to have it be just slightly jiggly - usually around 26 minutes for me.
- Let cool on a rack for 15 minutes, then, using a plate, carefully invert pan and remove cake pan and parchment paper. Then, using your cake plate, re-invert (?) so that the top is facing up.
- Whip up some cream, make some compote, serve it to your friends whilst drinking huge bottles of bourbon.
I got the original recipe from Molly Wizenberg. Slightly modified.
You're Living All Over me